View larger map
National Parks and the US Government
The national parks of the United States are the source and inspiration for other national parks around the world. The United States federal government has control of national parks in US territory, local and state governments do not have much influence in their operations.
The government administrator of the National Parks is tiered under the Department of the Interior supervisor Secretary Sally Jewell, and the National Park Service administrator Director Jonathon Jarvis. Thus being unlike the national park systems in the Canada and United Kingdom, where the park services are overseen by members of the lower legislative branch.
- Secretary Sally Jewell's page on the Department of the Interior website
- The Department of Interior website
- Director Jonathan Jarvis's page on the National Park Service website
- National Park Service website
Key Figures in the Creation of the National Parks of the US
- John Muir
Muir wrote of his travels in the west, and worked to help preserve natural areas he found to be outstanding beauty, such as with his work to help preserve Yosemite Valley. Muir was very influential and worked many of the politicians and elite across the country, being able to lobby congress, and have meetings with Theodore Roosevelt.
- Stephen Mather
Mather worked to create the National Park Service as a federal entity, where before the parks were run independentally by the Department of the Interior. He was also the first director of the National Park Service from 1916 to 1929.
Legislation Creating and Revising the National Parks of the US
- List and Links to Policy Related Laws pertaining to the National Park Service
The National Park Service has already created a list of laws that were influential in creating and revising the National Park Service.
- List and Links to Executive Orders pertaining to the National Park Service
The National Park Service has also created a website which lists the executive orders pertaining to them.
- List and Links to the Regulations governing the National Parks
A list of the regulations regarding National Parks.